Tacoma Yacht Club will host the annual Winter Vashon Race with a clockwise rounding of Vashon Island. PHRF and cruising boats are welcome. One-design boats may run a shorter course if five boats per class are registered – all OD classes are invited to participate. Questions can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTICE OF RACE
The Tacoma Yacht Club presents
The 2016 Winter Vashon Race
First in the Southern Sound Series
December 3, 2016
- The regatta will be governed by the rules as defined in the The Racing Rules of Sailing, the Sailing Instructions of both this race and the Southern Sound Series, and USCG VTS Navigation Rules.
- This race is open to all PHRF, Cruising Class, IRC, and One Design sailboats. All PHRF participants must be current PHRF members.
- A Cruising Class-NFS and a Commodore Class-FS will be offered. All participants must comply with PHRF rules and regulations, except that membership in PHRF is not required. All boats must receive an appropriate rating prior to registration by contacting the SSS Handicapper, Mark Harang, (206) 235-5716, email@example.com.
- One Design class will be any three boats of a singular design who would like to race as a class. Please notify the Race Chair if such a group is registering.
- Eligible boats may enter by completing an online entry form available through the TYC Event Calendar or underSailing with an early entry fee of $35 to be completed not later than Saturday, Nov 19, 2016.
- Entries made between Nov 20 and Dec 2 will be charged a fee of $45.00
- Entry fees will be paid with credit cards. No “same-day” registration.
- Safety requirements
- U.S. Sailing Equipment Requirements NEARSHORE.
- Online entry form through the TYC Website: Event Calendar.
- Deadline: Friday December 2, 2016, not later than 1900 (7pm) at the TYC Clubhouse or online.
- No skippers meeting on race day. Announcements will be made at the Friday night dinner.
- Class breaks will be made Friday night as soon as the committee makes its determination.
- Cruising/Commodore Classes
- PHRF Classes: reverse order (slower boats first) – Class 10, 9 , 8… etc
- IRC Class
- One Design classes
First Warning Signal will sound at:
- Sailing Instructions
- Sailing Instructions will be available on the TYC Website after Nov 30, 2016 and at the Friday night banquet.
- Sailing Instructions posted for the Southern Sound Series will guide the SI’s for this event as posted on the SSS Website.
- Changes to the Sailing Instructions will be posted on the notice board at the TYC Clubhouse before 0800 the day of the race and will be signaled by flying code flag ‘L’ from the TYC flagpole.
- Course – PHRF, IRC and Cruising Classes
- Boats will start in a westerly direction across a line between the Committee Boat and a temporary mark located north of the Committee Boat leaving Vashon Island to starboard. Course will be CLOCKWISE
- Approximately ½ mile north of Vashon Island on Allen Shoal, a Committee Boat will be anchored and serving as a temporary mark. This mark must be left to starboard, and will be the East end of the finish line if conditions require a shortened course (the shortened course finish line will be the line between the mark and the southern tip of Blake Island).
- Finish in a westerly direction across the finish line between the inflatable mark located north of the TYC Clubhouse and an orange flag on the TYC deck. This mark will be illuminated with glow sticks in the event of an after-dark finish. Boats must provide illumination of sail numbers if finishing after dark
- Course – One Design
- Penalty System
- Rule 44.1 will be changed by the SIs so that the Two-Turn Penalty is replaced by the One-Turn Penalty.
- Disclaimer of Liability
- Competitors participate in the regatta entirely at their own risk. See USSA/ISAF rule 4, Decision to Race. The organizing authority will not accept any liability for material damage or personal injury or death sustained in conjunction with or prior to, during or after the regatta.
- Overnight Moorage/Arrival
- Due to construction at TYC, boats in need of moorage at TYC on Friday night shall notify Lance Lindsley (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before November 25th OR specify on the Registration form.
- Boats arriving after 4PM Friday need to call TYC on VHF Channel 72 prior to entering the basin.
- Dinner, Breakfast, T-Shirts
- All participants and volunteers are invited to a dinner at the Tacoma Yacht Club on Friday evening Dec 2nd, 5:30 no-host Social, 6:00 dinner. Cost is $20.00.
- All participants and volunteers are invited to a breakfast at the Tacoma Yacht Club on Saturday morning, Dec 3rd, 7:30 – 9:00. Cost is $10.00.
- Winter Vashon t-shirts will be available for $10.00 at the clubhouse Friday evening and Saturday in the morning and after the race.
- Payment for dinner, breakfast and t-shirts will be by credit card or check, beginning Friday, Dec 2, 1700 at the TYC Clubhouse.
- Prizes and Teams
- The first three boats in each PHRF, Cruising, Commodore, IRC and One Design class where there are a minimum of 6 entries will receive event trophies.
- See Southern Sound Series Sailing Instructions for series awards.
- Team registration of three or more mono-hull boats racing in a PHRF scored class representing the same yacht club will begin Dec 2 at the TYC Clubhouse.
For more information contact Race Chair, Lance Lindsley, email@example.com or 253-212-6979.
Additional information: www.ssseries.org