Our boat has lots of marlinspike–wonderful ropework done (we think) by the US Coast Survey crew over the years that the Gyrfalcon was a government boat. Sections have disappeared or are cracking off, and need replacing.

My first attempt (Nancy) at serious ropework was last summer. Katie W taught Jessica and me how to make Turk’s heads during our trip around the San Juans. Jessica was the better student (which is why we have a Turk’s head around our bicycle pump to this day). I was the remedial learner.

Since then, I have watched innumerable Youtube videos (over and under, then under and over and under….). I wouldn’t say I have internalized the Turk’s head, but I have gotten good enough to make a passable knot.

Next step, finding the right size cotton line so that the new marlinspike would blend in with the old. I measured the line in the broken marlinspike and made my best guess at what size line I needed to buy. I was SO far off. Two orders later, I finally hit on the right size. It only came in 1000 ft lengths, but each Turk’s head and the line underneath takes about 20 feet.

Read the full post on MV Gyrfalcon